Wednesday, December 26, 2007

A 'merry' Christmas

For all those who know me and have spoken to me in the past month, have in some way or the other sensed the Christmas excitement, most of those who spend time chatting with me have jheloed (I coudn't find an equally appropriate english word) my puppy faced, looking for santa talks. It all began with the Christmas issue stories forced on me....the enormous 'Michael hunt' and the 'food story' which did turn out interesting. So, ya....this made the entire spirit seep in and make me wanna do something big this time. Began with a coupla Xmas gifts for family...stupid stuff that could be laughed on...red clothes for myself (read red with white polka dots :P)...a santa hat after all the effort in finding one for which I wasn't required to buy the sleazy, slutty Xmas dress(no offence)...
All this in place...and after all the doses of so called 'anglical talk' it was certain Xmas wasnt gonna be ordinary, not the Xmas meal in the slightest way. As they usually do, my tantrums helped, and in no time my folks were convinced I'l make them dinner that nite....despite the speculative yes from mom and her exploring 'disaster management' options at the back of her mind.
So that was that, Xmas eve began with the usual waking up late (trust me....it was 'late')...and a movie at night...which drove each of us to tears and stuff...never mind.
The 3 of us got back and when reached our gate exclaimed together....its Xmas....a few exchanged looks and we decided we should pay the city church a visit just for the 'feel' of the liveliness. Off we went, having not lived here, we(me and bro) realised we'd have to ask someone. Desperate call to mom, "Ma, where's the church?" With all the are you crazy why are you going there right now she replied giving up, "Turn right from the petrol pump and go to where the road takes you next to ******uncle's place".
Click ...and off we go...the right turn taken with utmost confidence after having spotted the petrol pump in pitch darkness. We had no idea what we were in for, shocked to see a colony with a maze of roads...we took the most likely direction....ad kept doing that for a while until we realised going on our instincts to find a church at 12:30 wasn't such a brilliant idea. The easiest way I said would be look out for the cross...with lights as I presumed it would be on Xmas eve. I recieved instant approval and was allowed to navigate following a light for a while untill bro discovered we were following a light that belonged to a TV tower. Giving up on me rolling with laughter at my own blunder he pulled over next to a poor Chowkidaar wrapped in I don't know how many shawls to ask "Bhaiya yahan church kahaan hai?"
To which he goes " Aap yahan kaise aa gaye?" I burst out laughing.
Bro goes," Bhaiya ab yahan se bataa do hum pahunch jaayenge".
"Go straight and turn left and you should find the church".
Obdeintly my bro goes straight down from where we met him....takes the first left and immediately after..takes the first left again...only to see the chowkidaar at a not-so-far from the car distance standing in the middle of the road and waving out with both his hands.
" Seedha jaake left fir seedha...fir left nahi...seedha jaane ka...yahan gol gol nahi ghoomne ka", he says...to which I burst out laughing...my bro quite offended with the remark spurted out without much realisation
"Par jaana kahaan hai?" and it sent all his audience rolling into laughter....included the poor chowkidaar...
After much effort....we reached a place...which had people crowded inside reciting prayers...numerous cars outside ...lights and stuff...we got out confidently and took a peak inside. It was just before stepping in that we checked the name at the door and paid a little attention to the interiors and saw idols of Hindu gods placed inside. Walking out in utter embarssment, bro gave up at the midnight Church idea...and I threw a few tantrums...nothing more than one puppy faced expression with a 'Please, it'll be nice'...we set out again....after about 20 more minutes of following all kinds of lights we spotted a familiar house...called mom "Ma, *****uncle ke ghar se church kaise jaate hain?" (and this uncle wasn't the previously mentioned uncle who lives almost opposite the church) Not realising we had had enough of being asked such questions ma answered "*****uncle ke ghar se church kisko jaana hai?"....thankfully without more than a few words of explanations mom guided us...we discovered not one but two of them in a while.
The fact that they were closed on Christmas eve didn't seem to matter all that much, having found them was an achievement in itself. A little look at the crib and the decorations outside and we were back on task 2...how to find our way back home...but that's another story...for another time...this one's been long enough.
And ya...the dinner turned out nice..'late' though...and slightly spicier or rather just spicier than what I expected...and needed a few glasses of something(read juice) to be gulped along...but all the same it was 'edible'.....good enough...aint it?.....

1 comment:

kunaal said...

enid blyton yaad aa rahi hai