Saturday, October 27, 2007

Of simple things...

It seemed harder to leave than ever before, rained and rained all night and nothing could move me into gettin my bags packed untill the first light. I was stuck, in awe of everything around me and wondering why this happened everytime I had to leave. I finally did, snapping away from my 'normal' life to a break into the kind I had forgotten for a while. It felt nice the cold wind on my cheeks as I left smiling at everything recognizable, every place I'd have to do without for a while. Maybe I just needed a fag to get myself outta such thoughts, I fished one...perhaps my last for the fortnight to come, changed my mind and put it right back. I never really 'needed' one, theres never a time when I need external agents for a high...boredom has always qualified as a more apt reason.
Four and a half hours at the arrival terminal at Mumbai airport and I felt quite different. Here I emphasize on the arrival terminal coz its very unlike the experience of having to wait at the departure as all it provides you with is space to let yourself get starved, thirsty, irritated and frozen by the AC. Anways, after having spent those dreadful hours with a fever and nearly missing my train I reached at about 2am. I am forced to believe nothing important in my life ever happens at an earthly time...really...
Half a night's sleep, a 2 hour drive and I am driven to a place so full of everything nostalgic. The place I've felt a strong sense of affection towards, not really belonging just liking perhaps. It didn't seem a great deal this time, the sight of my old school, of all those places I've spent my most memorable times at, all those people who seemed to be the end of my world. I walked past everything whisking away memories, thoughts and all the contemplation they bring. I've moved ahead, way ahead of ever being able to return. Involving myself in errands I was obliged but not quite expected to do I let the day pass and then another untill I left.
The journey back, the usual time when I tend to reflect and regret the things I did not and ought to have done wasn't the usual either. I popped a tablet to get myself feeling better and grabbed the keys from dad....75 kms....an average of 100kmph on the expressway and I felt great. That sense of power, the thrill of speed drove away every other thought that would have occupied my mind right then.A drink and a night of slumber...surprisingly got me up and about a lil before noon.
A 5- hour drive home and all seems right. Cuddled in the back seat displacing all the pieces of luggage fitted around I slept 3 long hours, sleep so sound, I don't remember the last time I slept that sound. Opening my eyes to a sudden halt, a little rumble of something around me, the familiar smell of petrol, the sound of the ghazals I've grown up listening to, of mom and dad discussing something trifling I feel assured, secure and so much at ease. Suddenly reminded of how I've never felt or come close to feeling this way in a while I wish it lasts. Battling my sleep to keep my eyelids open, I wish to say something, something that would make them realise how I felt, of how everything felt just the same despite ages of staying away, of changes, the ups and downs. A glance thrown behind and I hear, " are you hungry?" To which I utter a casual "slightly" with half of it fading into insignificance. I turn away, look up at the window and close my eyes. Its just a moment, one like the many others you see everyday, where there is nothing unusual but the way you feel about it, just this once, all of a sudden. Its something you want to express, something you wanna cherish for its utter eventlesness. But somethings are best left unsaid, to let the moment remain true, as eventless as you'd like it to be. These thoughts and my eyes close humming the words of jagjit singh in that familiar passe rythm, I am drowsy again. It couldn't get better...

2 comments:

amrit said...

:)

Enjoy your stay@home.

entwined said...

thanks...i so will :D